Re: [9.4 CF 1] The Commitfest Slacker List

От Szymon Guz
Тема Re: [9.4 CF 1] The Commitfest Slacker List
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I'm just wondering about newbies...

I've created my first patch, so I'm one of them, I think.

I've reviewed some patches, but only some easier ones, like pure regression tests. Unfortunately my knowledge is not enough to review patches making very deep internal changes, or some efficiency tweaks. I'm not sure if those patches should be reviewed by newbies like me, as I just don't know what is good and what is bad, even if a patch looks OK for me. What's the use of my review, if I don't understand the internals enough, I can apply the patch, run tests, look inside and I'm sure I won't find any problems?

Maybe this is the reason why there are not so many reviewers?

I'm not sure if such a strict policy will bring anything good. If newbies won't be able to review patches, they won't be committing simple patches, as they won't be able to review others.

If this policy will be so strict, I will spend huge amount of time to understand the whole Postgres code before sending my next patch, as most probably I will have problems with making the reviews.

Szymon