Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 3:15 AM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Foreign Transaction Resolver
> ======================
> I introduced a new background worker called "foreign transaction
> resolver" which is responsible for resolving the transaction prepared
> on foreign servers. The foreign transaction resolver process is
> launched by backend processes when commit/rollback transaction. And it
> periodically resolves the queued transactions on a database as long as
> the queue is not empty. If the queue has been empty for the certain
> time specified by foreign_transaction_resolver_time GUC parameter, it
> exits. It means that the backend doesn't launch a new resolver process
> if the resolver process is already working. In this case, the backend
> process just adds the entry to the queue on shared memory and wake it
> up. The maximum number of resolver process we can launch is controlled
> by max_foreign_transaction_resolvers. So we recommends to set larger
> max_foreign_transaction_resolvers value than the number of databases.
> The resolver process also tries to resolve dangling transaction as
> well in a cycle.
>
> Processing Sequence
> =================
> I've changed the processing sequence of resolving foreign transaction
> so that the second phase of two-phase commit protocol (COMMIT/ROLLBACK
> prepared) is executed by a resolver process, not by backend process.
> The basic processing sequence is following;
>
> * Backend process
> 1. In pre-commit phase, the backend process saves fdwxact entries, and
> then prepares transaction on all foreign servers that can execute
> two-phase commit protocol.
> 2. Local commit.
> 3. Enqueue itself to the shmem queue and change its status to WAITING
> 4. launch or wakeup a resolver process and wait
>
>     * Resolver process
>     1. Dequeue the waiting process from shmem qeue
>     2. Collect the fdwxact entries that are associated with the waiting process.
>     3. Resolve foreign transactoins
>     4. Release the waiting process

Why do we want the the backend to linger behind, once it has added its
foreign transaction entries in the shared memory and informed resolver
about it? The foreign connections may take their own time and even
after that there is no guarantee that the foreign transactions will be
resolved in case the foreign server is not available. So, why to make
the backend wait?

> 5. Wake up and restart
>
> This is still under the design phase and I'm sure that there is room
> for improvement and consider more sensitive behaviour but I'd like to
> share the current status of the patch. The patch includes regression
> tests but not includes fully documentation.

Any background worker, backend should be child of the postmaster, so
we should not let a backend start a resolver process. It should be the
job of the postmaster.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat