Re: WIP: a way forward on bootstrap data

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: WIP: a way forward on bootstrap data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 2:11 AM, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> -1 for trying to automate this.  It varies between fooin and foo_in,
>>> and it'll be annoying to have to remember which one happens
>>> automatically and which one needs an override.
>>
>> Yeah, that was my first reaction to that example as well.  If it
>> weren't so nearly fifty-fifty then we might have more traction there;
>> but it's pretty close, and actually the foo_in cases outnumber fooin
>> if I counted correctly.  (Array entries should be ignored for this
>> purpose; maybe we'll autogenerate them someday.)
>
> Part of the problem right now is that nothing really encourages new
> functions to be named foo_in vs. fooin, so the nearly 50/50 split will
> continue when new code is contributed.  If the system forced you to
> specify the name when you did it in a nonstandard way, and not otherwise,
> that would have the effect of documenting which way is now considered
> standard.

FWIW, I would like some standard naming convention one way or the
other for in/out function names. Looking up pg_type.h for in/out
functions when you know the built-in type name isn't great. But that
itself may not be enough reason to change it.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat