Re: Functional dependencies and GROUP BY - for subqueries

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Functional dependencies and GROUP BY - for subqueries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> The reason being, it doesn't look into the subqueries (in FROM clause) to
> infer that p.product_id is essentially product.product_id which is a
> primary key.

Right.

> Attached find a crude patch to infer the same by traversing subqueries.

I think this is probably a bad idea.  We could spend an infinite amount
of code this way, with ever-increasing runtime cost and ever-decreasing
usefulness, and where would we stop?  I'm also a bit concerned about
allowing illegal queries due to bugs of omission in the
ever-more-complex checking code, which could be quite hard to find, and
when we did find them we'd be faced with a backwards compatibility break
if we fix them.

A larger point is that the patch as proposed doesn't fix the stated
problem, because it only descends into written-out subqueries.

That's correct. I tested it only with the written-out subqueries, to see if the idea works. But it started with the case involving views.

It
would only succeed at looking into views if we applied it after
rewriting, rather than in the parser.  That's really not going to work.
It would be a complete disaster if the dependencies of a query that
references a view depend on the view's contents.

Can you please elaborate, why would it be a disaster?

Will we extend this functionality for written-out subqueries queries and/or views or none?

I am not touchy about the approach, I have taken. I am interested in the feature extension, whichever way it gets implemented.

Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat
EntepriseDB Corporation
The Postgres Database Company