Re: Problem building in a directory shared from Mac to Ubuntu

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Problem building in a directory shared from Mac to Ubuntu
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 06/25/2013 01:14 PM, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> Hi,
> I am observing a strange problem when I build latest PostgreSQL head on
> Ubuntu 12.04. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 as VM on Mac 10.7. The build
> directory points to a sub-directory of host directory shared from Mac to
> Ubuntu 12.04.

"shared" how?

You can share the directories between Host and VM using VMware Fusion. There is no network involved.

AFP?

SMB/CIFS? With mount.cifs?

Using NFS?

In general I'd recommend using a local directory for builds. Most
network file protocols have ... interesting ... behaviour when it comes
to file locking, timestamps, etc.

Why are you using this approach rather than just having local build trees?

So that, 1. I can use the data between VM and host seemlessly (the binaries will be useless, I agree, but the source code will be useful) 2. I can share the same directory across more than one VM (binaries will be useful in case two VMs are same). Like building source once and using it on multiple VMs. 3. if VM crashes, the host will have the data in-tact.

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat