Re: [HACKERS] pg_hba_file_settings view patch

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_hba_file_settings view patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> writes:
>> > [ pg_hba_rules_10.patch ]
>>
>> I took a quick look over this.
>

> Thanks for the review.
>

>> * I'm not exactly convinced that the way you approached the error message
>> reporting, ie duplicating the logged message, is good.  In particular
>> this results in localizing the strings reported in pg_hba_rules.error,
>> which is exactly opposite to the decision we reached for the
>> pg_file_settings view.  What's the reasoning for deciding that this
>> view should contain localized strings?  (More generally, we found in
>> the pg_file_settings view that we didn't always want to use exactly
>> the same string that was logged, anyway.)
>

> Actually there is no particular reason to display the localized strings,
> Just thought that it may be useful to the user if it get displayed in their
> own language. And also doing this way will reduce the error message
> duplicate in the code that is used for display in the view and writing it
> into the log file.

Would it be better, if we could parse each HBA line within
PG_TRY()/PG_CATCH() and read errmsg from errordata stack in
PG_CATCH()? We do that only when errcode is ERRCODE_CONFIG_FILE_ERROR,
PG_THROWing otherwise. That's probably a bad idea but wanted to put it
out as it came to me. It would eliminate a lot of changes in this
patch.

>> * getauthmethod() might be better replaced with an array.  And doesn't it
>> produce uninitialized-variable warnings for you?
>

> No, i am not getting any warnings.
> Changed to a static array.

Thanks. Probably we should update parse_hba_line() to keep it in sync
with the array. But that may be a separate add-on patch.

Rest of the patch looks good to me.
--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat