Re: Postgres_FDW optimizations

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Postgres_FDW optimizations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 12:55 AM, cevian <cevian@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question about postgres_fdw optimizations/pushdown:

I have the following code running on 9.5beta2 (same format as
previous/related message for consistency)
CREATE EXTENSION postgres_fdw;
CREATE SERVER loop foreign data wrapper postgres_fdw
  OPTIONS (port '5432', dbname 'testdb');
CREATE USER MAPPING FOR PUBLIC SERVER loop;

create table onemillion (
    id serial primary key,
    inserted timestamp default clock_timestamp(),
    data text
);

insert into onemillion(data) select random() from
generate_series(1,1000000);

CREATE FOREIGN TABLE onemillion_pgfdw (
    id int,
    inserted timestamp,
    data text
) SERVER loop
OPTIONS (table_name 'onemillion',
         use_remote_estimate 'true');

explain verbose select * from onemillion_pgfdw order by id limit 1;
                                             QUERY PLAN
 Limit  (cost=43434.00..43434.00 rows=1 width=30)
   Output: id, inserted, data
   ->  Sort  (cost=43434.00..45934.00 rows=1000000 width=30)
         Output: id, inserted, data
         Sort Key: onemillion_pgfdw.id
         ->  Foreign Scan on public.onemillion_pgfdw  (cost=100.00..38434.00
rows=1000000 width=30)
               Output: id, inserted, data
               Remote SQL: SELECT id, inserted, data FROM public.onemillion

This is obviously highly inefficient. The sort and limit should be pushed
down to the foreign node, especially on such a simple query. I have 3
questions:

The patch for sort pushdown was committed few weeks ago and will be available in 9.6. Let me know what you see when you execute the query on current developement branch. Limit support will be added eventually, but the timeline is not clear yet.

1) Is this the expected stated of the fdw optimizations for now, or is it a
bug?

For 9.2 this is expected behaviour and not a bug.

2) Is anybody working on this type of pushdown right now (I would be more
than willing to collaborate on a patch)

There are few people working on this. You will see Hanada-san, Horiguchi-san, Fujita-san, myself and Robert working on it mostly. But there are other contributors too, so forgive me if I have missed any. You are welcome to join hands. Right now we are concentrating on join pushdown, DML pushdown and asynchronous query execution.

3) Is this possible to fix with with views/rules/triggers/different query. I
couldn't find a way. Relatedly, is there a way to explicitly specify an
explicit remote query to run through the fdw?

dblink module can be of help here.

Thanks,
Matvey Arye
Iobeam, Inc.