Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> Long time passed since original patch proposed by Ashutosh, so I
> explain again about current design and functionality of this feature.
> If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the summary.

> Parameters
> ==========

[ snip ]

> Cluster-wide atomic commit
> =======================
> Since the distributed transaction commit on foreign servers are
> executed independently, the transaction that modified data on the
> multiple foreign servers is not ensured that transaction did either
> all of them commit or all of them rollback. The patch adds the
> functionality that guarantees distributed transaction did either
> commit or rollback on all foreign servers. IOW the goal of this patch
> is achieving the cluster-wide atomic commit across foreign server that
> is capable two phase commit protocol.

In [1], I proposed that we solve the problem of supporting PREPARED
transactions involving foreign servers and in subsequent mail Vinayak
agreed to that. But this goal has wider scope than that proposal. I am
fine widening the scope, but then it would again lead to the same
discussion we had about the big picture. May be you want to share
design (or point out the parts of this design that will help) for
solving smaller problem and tone down the patch for the same.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat