Re: Optimizing nested ConvertRowtypeExpr execution

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Optimizing nested ConvertRowtypeExpr execution
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
<CAFjFpRcCjqSdT70EQKUoCkfinh3VOwqZDZbg6YROzw_M0Pwd+g@mail.gmail.com>
>> On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Ashutosh Bapat
>> <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

i)x(a, b, c);

>> > I am not able to parse this statement.
>> >
>> > What output do you see without the patch?
>> >

>> Without the patch, I see
>> explain verbose select (a, b, c)::t1p1p1::t1p1::t1 from (select i, i *
>> 2, i * 3 from generate_series(0, 10) i) x(a, b, c);
>>                                       QUERY PLAN
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  Function Scan on pg_catalog.generate_series i  (cost=0.00..15.00
>> rows=1000 width=32)
>>    Output: ((ROW(i.i, (i.i * 2), (i.i * 3))::t1p1p1)::t1p1)::t1
>>    Function Call: generate_series(0, 10)
>> (3 rows)
>>
>> Only difference between the two outputs is direct conversion of t1p1p1
>> row into t1 row, which is what is expected with this patch. Are you
>> suggesting that the optimization attempted in the patch is not safe?
>> If yes, can you please explain why, and give a scenario showing its
>> "un"safety?
>
> I understood the reason for the current output. Maybe I meant the
> contrary, we can remove intermediate conversions more
> aggressively. I assumed that ::t1p1p1 and ::t1 yield the same
> output from any input. Is it right?

We can't directly cast Row() into t1 unless it's compatible with a
leaf child row hence ROW()::t1p1p1 cast. But I think that's a single
expression not two as it looks.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat