Re: proposal: schema PL session variables

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal: schema PL session variables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

SQL access to variables needs a) change in SQL parser (with difficult
discussion about syntax) or b) generic get/set functions. @b can be used
in other PL in first iteration.

I afraid to open pandora box and I would to hold the scope of this patch
too small what is possible - to be possible implement it in one release
cycle.

I agree about implementation. I disagree about design.

Right now it appears zero thought has gone into what SQL level access would eventually look like. Which means there's a high risk that something gets implemented now that we regret later.

So I think adding something like this needs to at least address *how* SQL level access would work, *when* it's eventually implemented.

I understand - and I agree.

small note: Private variables should not be executed from any SQL, because SQL has not directly related schema. It can be executed only from SQL embedded in some object with attached schema - PL functions, views, constraints, .. So for this use case, the important information is info about a container. We have to hold info about related schema in planner/executor context.

Regards

Pavel