Re: Bytea PL/Perl transform

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Bytea PL/Perl transform
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

út 30. 1. 2024 v 18:26 odesílatel Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari@ilmari.org> napsal:

> út 30. 1. 2024 v 17:46 odesílatel Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <
> ilmari@ilmari.org> napsal:
>
>> Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > út 30. 1. 2024 v 17:18 odesílatel Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <

>> does

>> they
>> the

>> should
>> returning

>> because

>> the

>> > ugly test code
>> >
>> > (2024-01-30 13:44:28) postgres=# CREATE or replace FUNCTION
>> > perl_inverse_bytes(bytea) RETURNS bytea
>> > TRANSFORM FOR TYPE bytea
>> > AS $$ my $bytes =  pack 'H*', '0123'; my $ref = \$bytes;
>>
>> You are returning a reference, not a string.
>>

> I know, but for this case, should not be raised an error?

I don't think so, as I explained in my previous reply:

> There's no reason to ban references, that would break every Perl
> programmer's expectations.

To elaborate on this: when a function is defined to return a string
(which bytea effectively is, as far as Perl is converned), I as a Perl
programmer would expect PL/Perl to just stringify whatever value I
returned, according to the usual Perl rules.

ok

Pavel

I also said:

> If we really want to be strict, we should at least allow references to
> objects that overload stringification, as they are explicitly designed
> to be well-behaved as strings.  But that would be a lot of extra code
> for very little benefit over just letting Perl stringify everything.

By "a lot of code", I mean everything `string_amg`-related in the
amagic_applies() function
(https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/v5.38.0/gv.c#L3401-L3545).  We can't
just call it: it's only available since Perl 5.38 (released last year),
and we support Perl versions all the way back to 5.14.

- ilmari