- Архив списков рассылки pgsql-hackers

От Pavel Stehule
Тема
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 12 September 2016 at 14:02, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> There is some opened questions - the standard (and some other databases)
> requires entering XPath expression as string literal.
>
> I am thinking so it is too strong not necessary limit - (it enforces dynamic
> query in more cases), so I allowed the expressions there.

I agree. There's no reason not to permit expressions there, and there
are many other places where we have similar extensions.

> Another questions is when these expressions should be evaluated. There are
> two possibilities - once per query, once per input row. I selected "once per
> input row mode" - it is simpler to implement it, and it is consistent with
> other "similar" generators - see the behave and related discussion to
> "array_to_string" and evaluation of separator argument. The switch to "once
> per query" should not be hard - but it can be strange for users, because
> some his volatile expression should be stable.

I would've expected once per query. There's no way the expressions can
reference the row data, so there's no reason to evaluate them each
time.

I disagree - it is hypothetical situation but it is possible

if somebody store documents like

id, xml
=====
id = 1, xml = <doc id = 1> ....<>
id = 2, xml = <doc id = 2> ....

Then evaluating one per query doesn't allow to use any reference to other columns, and doesn't to build expressions like PATH (...[@id= ' || id || ']

My opinion is not too strong - now, what I know, there is not any only once per query executed expression in Postgres - so this implementation will be a precedent.

The only use case I see for evaluating them each time is - maybe -
DEFAULT. Where maybe there's a use for nextval() or other volatile
functions. But honestly, I think that's better done explicitly in a
post-pass, i.e.

select uuid_generate_v4(), x.*
from (
  xmltable(.....) x
);

in cases where that's what the user actually wants.

DEFAULT should be evaluated per output row - anybody can use volatile function there - example: when I have not data - use some random there

Regards

Pavel

There's no other case I can think of where expressions as arguments to
set-returning functions are evaluated once per output row.

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/