Re: enhanced linestyles for psql

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: enhanced linestyles for psql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2012/5/25 Raghavendra <raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com>:

>> > http://postgres.cz/wiki/Enhanced-psql
>> >
>> > Is this also compatible to 9.1 ?
>> >

>> no, this was prepared for 8.4. These features was just experiment and
>> only smaller subset is in core now.
>>

> Oh ok. Thank you for the info.
>
> Multi-Headers, Macros of psql 8.4 were very interesting features, sustaining
> them in 9.1 would have matured psql console alot.

I believe so some features - like advanced formatting will be accepted
sometime. Macros are little bit different story - it is relative
difficult implement them in current psql, because code is complex -
there are unclean and unreadable support of readline and interactive
mode. I had a idea of noninteractive console, that can support macros
- but there are lot of issues still. I would to work on some better
integration between client and server inlined procedures, and on
simpler using psql from bash. Implementing own full macro language is
not necessary. Probably better way is enable extending console
statements with possibility to call external scripts.

Regards

Pavel