Re: proposal: schema variables

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal: schema variables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

pá 6. 3. 2020 v 16:44 odesílatel DUVAL REMI <REMI.DUVAL@cheops.fr> napsal:

Hello Pavel

I tested your patch again and I think things are better now, close to perfect for me.

1)      Patch review

-          We can define CONSTANTs with CREATE IMMUTABLE VARIABLE … I’m really pleased with this

-          The previous bug I mentioned to you by private mail (see detail below) has been fixed and a non-regression test case has been added for it.

-          I’m now able to export a 12.1 database using pg_dump from the latest git HEAD (internal version 130000).

NB: the condition is “if internal_version < 130000 => don’t try to export any schema variable”.

Also I was able to test a use case for a complex Oracle package I migrated to PostgreSQL (it has a total of 194 variables and constants in it !).

The Oracle package has been migrated to a PostgreSQL schema with one routine per Oracle subprogram.

I’m able to run my business test case using schema variables on those routines and it’s giving me the expected result.

NB: Previous bug was

database1=> CREATE VARIABLE T0_var AS char(14);
CREATE VARIABLE
database1=> CREATE IMMUTABLE VARIABLE Taille_var AS numeric DEFAULT 14;
CREATE VARIABLE
database1=> LET T0_var = LPAD('999', trunc(Taille_var::NUMERIC)::INTEGER, '0');
ERROR:  schema variable "taille_var" is declared IMMUTABLE
database1=> LET T0_var = LPAD('999', trunc(Taille_var::NUMERIC)::INTEGER, '0');
ERROR:  variable "taille_var" has not valid content

ð  It’s now fixed !

2)      Regarding documentation

It’s pretty good except some small details :

-          sql-createvariable.html => IMMUTABLE parameter : The value of the variable cannot be changed. => I think an article is needed here (the)

fixed

-          sql-createvariable.html => ON COMMIT DROP : The ON COMMIT DROP clause specifies the bahaviour of      temporary => behaviour
Also there are “tabs” between words (here between “of” and “temporary”), making the paragraph look strange.

fixed

-          sql-createvariable.html => Maybe we should mention that the IMMUTABLE parameter (CREATE IMMUTABLE VARIABLE …) is the way to define global CONSTANTs, because people will look for a way to create global constants in the documentation and it would be good if they can find the CONSTANT word in it.
Also maybe it’s worth mentioning that “schema variables” relates to “global variables” (for the same purpose of people searching in the documentation).

I wrote note there

-          sql-altervariable.html => sentence “These restrictions enforce that altering the owner doesn't do anything you couldn't do by dropping and recreating the variable.“ => not sure I understand this one. Isn’t it “does not do anything you could do” instead of “you couln’t do” .. but maybe it’s me

This sentence is used more times (from alter_view0

To alter the owner, you must also be a direct or indirect member of the new
   owning role, and that role must have <literal>CREATE</literal> privilege on
   the view's schema.  (These restrictions enforce that altering the owner
   doesn't do anything you couldn't do by dropping and recreating the view.
   However, a superuser can alter ownership of any view anyway.)

Otherwise, this is a really nice feature and I’m looking forward to have it in PostgreSQL.

Thank you very much

updated patch attached

Thanks a lot

Duval Rémi