Re: plpgsql_check_function - rebase for 9.3

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: plpgsql_check_function - rebase for 9.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
functionsin complex projects. It is some what we don't want.<div class="gmail_quote">Dne 12. 12. 2013 5:30 "Amit
Kapila"<<a href="mailto:amit.kapila16@gmail.com">amit.kapila16@gmail.com</a>> napsal(a):<br type="attribution"
/><blockquoteclass="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> On Wed, Dec 11,
2013at 10:40 AM, Tom Lane <<a href="mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us">tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us</a>> wrote:<br /> > Amit
Kapila<<a href="mailto:amit.kapila16@gmail.com">amit.kapila16@gmail.com</a>> writes:<br /> >> On Tue, Dec
10,2013 at 12:15 PM, Pavel Stehule <<a href="mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com">pavel.stehule@gmail.com</a>>
wrote:<br/> >>> Now, PG has no any tool for checking dependency between functions and other<br /> >>>
>Pavel's point is that the only way to find out if the validator will fail<br /> > is to run it and see if it
timeof function creation, users are<br /> interested in knowing<br />    is that if there are any objects
(table/view/sequence..) that are<br /> used in function body<br />    and are missing and the reason is I think they
inPostgreSQL, like<br /> at time of parse message<br />    only it checks both syntax errors and semantic check (which
ensures<br/> statement is meaningful,<br />    for ex. whether objects and columns used in the statements exist)<br
 thingshould be considered meaning full at time of function creation.<br /><br />    As you mentioned, there are checks
(likedependency, mutual<br /> recursion) which are difficult or not<br />    feasible in current design to perform, but
sowill be the case for<br /> them to execute during first execution<br />    of function. So is it not better to do
whatis more feasible during<br /> function creation rather than leaving<br />    most of the things at execution