Re: plpgsql.warn_shadow

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: plpgsql.warn_shadow
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

2014/1/15 Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to>
On 1/15/14 2:00 PM, Florian Pflug wrote:
On Jan15, 2014, at 13:32 , Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
On 1/15/14 1:23 PM, Florian Pflug wrote:
The fact that it's named plpgsql.warnings already clearly documents that this only affects plpgsql. But whether a particular warning is emitted during compilation or during execution it largely irrelevant, I think. For example, if we called this compiler_warning, we'd couldn't add a warning which triggers when SELECT .. INTO ingores excessive rows.

There is the fact that something being a "compiler warning" gives you an idea on its effects on performance.  But maybe that would be better described in the documentation (perhaps even more accurately).

I like the idea of warning about SELECT .. INTO, though, but that one could have a non-negligible performance penalty during execution.

I'm not overly concerned about that. I image people would usually enable warnings during development, not production.

Yeah, me neither, it's just something that needs to be communicated very clearly.  So probably just a list  plpgsql.warnings  would be the most appropriate then.

I am thinking so the name is not good. Changing handling warnings is messy - minimally in Postgres, where warnings and errors are different creatures.

what about

plpgsql.enhanced_checks = (none | warning | error)

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja

Сообщение: Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Сообщение: Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance