Re: BUG #16549: "CASE" not work properly , the function works properly on PostgreSQL 9.6.8

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: BUG #16549: "CASE" not work properly , the function works properly on PostgreSQL 9.6.8
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

čt 23. 7. 2020 v 0:17 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> napsal:
> What is interesting - it fails only when the subquery is in CASE condition
> expression. If is somewhere else, then it doesn't fail

If eval_const_expressions can simplify the CASE test condition itself
to constant-true or constant-false, then it throws away the unreachable
result expression(s) without const-simplifying them.  So even if there
would have been a run-time error there, you don't see it.

Of course the error can only happen because we're trying to generate a
custom plan for the expression (with plpgsql variable values inserted
as constants not params).  That's a bit silly in this example, but
it wouldn't happen if there weren't a sub-SELECT in the expression.
That forces use of the full planner and plancache machinery.

Thank you for explanation

Regards

Pavel