Re: plpgsql - DECLARE - cannot to use %TYPE or %ROWTYPE for composite types

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: plpgsql - DECLARE - cannot to use %TYPE or %ROWTYPE for composite types
Дата
Re: plpgsql - DECLARE - cannot to use %TYPE or %ROWTYPE for composite types  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

Hi.
I have tried to do some review of this patch. Below are my comments.

Introduction:

This patch fixes and adds the following functionality:
- %TYPE - now can be used for composite types.
- %ARRAYTYPE - new functionality, provides the array type from a variable or table column.
- %ELEMENTTYPE - new funcitonality, provides the element type of a given array.

New regression tests are included in the patch. Changes to the documentation are not provided.

Initial Run:

The patch applies correctly to HEAD. Regression tests pass successfully, without errors. It seems that the patch work as you expected.

Performance:

It seems patch have not possible performance issues for the existing functionality.

Coding:

The style looks fine. I attached the patch that does some corrections in code and documentation. I have corrected indentation in pl_comp.c and "read_datatype" function in pl_gram.y. I think changes in "read_datatype" function would be better to avoid a code duplication. But I could be wrong of course.

I merged Artur's patch and appended examples to doc.

Conclusion:

The patch could be applied on master with documentation corrections. But I'm not sure that your task could be resloved only by adding %ARRAYTYPE and %ELEMENTTYPE. Maybe you will give some examples?

It fixes the most missed/known features related to this part of plpgsql, what I found. But any ideas for this or follofup patches are welcome.

Regards

Pavel

--
Artur Zakirov