Re: [HACKERS] Optional message to user when terminating/cancelling backend

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Optional message to user when terminating/cancelling backend
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On 6 Aug 2018, at 09:47, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> Has there been any consideration to encodings?

Thats a good point, no =/

> What happens if the message contains non-ASCII characters, and the sending backend is connected to database that uses a different encoding than the backend being signaled?

In the current state of the patch, instead of the message you get:

    FATAL: character with byte sequence 0xe3 0x82 0xbd in encoding "UTF8" has
           no equivalent in encoding “ISO_8859_5"

Where this code fails? Isn't somewhere upper where string literals are translated? Then this message is ok.

Thats clearly not good enough, but I’m not entirely sure what would be the best
way forward.  Restrict messages to only be in SQL_ASCII?  Store the encoding of
the message and check the encoding of the receiving backend before issuing it
for a valid conversion, falling back to no message in case there is none?
Neither seems terribly appealing, do you have any better suggestions?

The client<->server encoding translation should do this work no?

Regards

Pavel

cheers ./daniel