Re: [HACKERS] proposal: psql command \graw

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] proposal: psql command \graw
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Hi Pavel,

> I am thinking about printing graphs in psql (mainly some histograms). I
> found so gnuplot is able do very good graphs in console. The one issue is
> user friendly (with less steps) generating data in good format for this
> application.
>
> One my idea is introduction new simple output format and execution command
> with result in this format.
>
> It should work something like
>
> \setenv GNUPLOT_OPTION '......'
>
> SELECT * FROM data
>
> \graw | gnuplot ...
>
> It can be used for any other applications R, ggplot, ..
>
> Ideas, comments?

Sounds cool. On the other hand, I think it's kind of too domain specific
task. So I wonder whether it could be generalized somehow so anyone
could write an extension that would export data in any format in a
friendly way.

For instance:

create extension export_to_gnuplot;
select * from data
\export_to_gnuplot | gnuplot ...

you are mixing server side and client side code. Maybe some time we can write psql custom commands.

can be nice to have more pipes in series

so you can do

select * from data
\graw | histogram | gnuplot ...

--