Re: "format" function documentation fix

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: "format" function documentation fix
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
hello

2013/9/17 rudolf <stu3.1@eq.cz>
(Please CC me the reply, since I'm not subscribed to the list.)

Dean Rasheed wrote:
On 14 September 2013 09:29, rudolf <stu3.1@eq.cz> wrote:
The last example from
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/functions-string.html#FUNCTIONS-STRING-FORMAT
- "examples using width fields and the - flag" seems to be incorrect, see
the attached patch.

No, the example is correct. Referring to the documentation above that:

     If the width argument is negative, the result is left aligned (as
if the - flag had been specified) ...

This applies even if the "-" flag is also specified. So the last
example is meant to illustrate that 2 minuses don't make a plus here.

That's very unusual, IMO. This behavior follows some SQL standard or is it an invention of PostgreSQL?

this is postgresql feature - standard doesn't support any similar functionality - and printf is some like developer Esperanto. We significantly reduced complexity of printf function and we modified basic rules for usage in SQL, but some very typical rules - like format placeholders, we share - we don't introduce own rules there.

Regards

Pavel Stehule

Thanks,

r.