Re: Implementation of global temporary tables?

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Implementation of global temporary tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> Sounds fine in general. I'm a bit curious to know what are the locking implications of > vivifying the table on access.

The locking implications depend on how we interpret the existing commands in the context of global temp tables and I think we should discuss and agree on the behaviors of the commands with global temp tables, but I think in general we can follow these rules:

If the command executes on the global temp table's metadata, for example an ALTER TABLE command, then we lock the global copy at the same level as we do a regular table.

there is other question - what is effect of ALTER TABLE of global temp table on instances of this table in active sessions?

If the command executes on the global temp table's data (which is actually stored in the session copy), for example an DML command, then the global copy is locked at the AccessShareLock level to prevent concurrent modifications to the global temp table's definition from other sessions.

Thanks,
Zhaomo