Re: effect of JIT tuple deform?

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: effect of JIT tuple deform?
Дата
Re: effect of JIT tuple deform?  (Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

I played with it and maybe I got interesting result.

When I played with really big table, then I got IO waits and effect of jit_tuple_deforming is near to zero (as expected)

When I played with smaller table under RAM, then I can see positive effect of JIT_TD, but only when optimization is active. When optimization was false, then JIT_TD has negative slowdown.

Shared buffers 1GB
table wt .. 100columns, 2M rows, cca 823MB
set max_parallel_workers to 0;

query:

select sum(c99) from wt;

default (jit active) ... 1853ms
set jit_tuple_deforming to off .. 1397ms
set jit off .. 1400ms

== enforced inline ==
jit_tuple_deforming on .. 1610ms
jit_tuple_deforming off .. 1420ms

== enforced optimize ==
jit_tuple_deforming on .. 842ms
jit_tuple_deforming off .. 1420ms

I played with setting and I got the best speed with

jit_inline_above_cost ..some pretty high number
jit_optimize_above_cost 0
jit_tuple_deforming on

So I am able to see effect of jit_tuple_deforming, and very well, but only if optimization is active. When optimization is not active then jit_tuple_deforming does slowdown.

So maybe a usage of jit_tuple_deforming can be conditioned by jit_optimization?

Regards

Pavel