Re: plans for PostgreSQL 12

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: plans for PostgreSQL 12
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 04/06/18 09:37, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:hlinnaka@iki.fi>>:
>
>     On 04/06/18 09:12, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
>         It requires introduction of new "safe" functions (& operators).
>         Immutable
>         functions are not enough safe.
>
>         CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.fx()
>           RETURNS integer
>           LANGUAGE plpgsql
>           IMMUTABLE
>         AS $function$
>         BEGIN
>            RETURN (SELECT count(*) FROM pg_class);
>         END;
>         $function$
>
>         postgres=# SELECT fx();
>         ┌─────┐
>         │ fx  │
>         ╞═════╡
>         │ 343 │
>         └─────┘
>         (1 row)
>

>     That function is incorrectly marked as IMMUTABLE. In that situation,
>     it's enough that we throw a sane error like "ERROR: no snapshot
>     available".
>
> Yes, it is incorrect mark. Unfortunately - this is often workaround for
> wrong estimations - so I afraid, in this case, your proposed fix breaks
> lot of applications.

I would say such applications are already broken.

I cannot to agree, not in this moment:

1. there is not any workaround, how to force subselect evaluation in planning time - what can be correct for once only evaluated queries.

2. what is not prohibited, is enabled. I agree so this trick is ugly - but I got it from Tom if I remember well maybe more than 10 years ago. Now is too late change it - I think - probably we find more strange features that we hold due compatibility. But this discussion is offtopic for this thread. I am thinking so lot of expressions can be significantly accelerated and I would to check it.

Regards

Pavel

--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36
http://2ndQuadrant.fr     PostgreSQL : Expertise, Formation et Support