Re: How to avoid trailing zero (after decimal point) for numeric type column

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: How to avoid trailing zero (after decimal point) for numeric type column
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Hey Pavel,

I am okay with the size

You can implement own numeric type, that will try to remove trailing zeros by default.  - Can I override the existing numeric type, or do you want me to create a custom numeric type?

you can hack Postgres and change, behave of numeric. But then there are issues with necessity of build own packages, ... so preferred way is use own numeric type like numeric2.

any data type in PostgreSQL is defined by some sets of functions - for you, you need to modify numeric_in function - just truncate zero from right and call numeric_in. You can look postgresql source code postgresql/contrib/citext - citext is based on text type

It is not lot of work. But it is not easy work, for people who don't know C language and PostgreSQL ecosystem.

or clean inserted values on app side. -  Does this means, Change my application code?

yes. It is most easy and probably correct solution for you. Postgres is not Oracle, and Oracle is not Postgres, and some differences are best solved on application level.

Regards

Pavel

Thanks,
Praveen