Re: proposal - psql - show longest tables

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal - psql - show longest tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2013/7/23 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> writes:
>> Is looking for the biggest tables a common enough thing that it should
>> be available to everyone, without needing custom customization?
>
> I don't really think so.  It's surely not much harder than
>
>         select relname, pg_relation_size(oid) from pg_class order by 2 desc;
>
> Moreover, the people who need this likely don't need it as a psql
> command, but rather as something available to monitoring tools.

I can do it - but it is not consistent with other psql commands - so
why we have \dt statement ? and this was is not simple for people that
are on basic level.

My motivations for this proposal are:

* comfortable usage of psql
* consistency with current psql design (I don't expect major
reimplementation and redesign in next 5 years) and its completation
* very simply implementation

we use a splunk, but when you have opened psql console, is not
comfortable to swith to splunk.