Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I afraid so dependency on EDB in this case is wrong - I have respect to
>> > EDB
>> > due  work, but installation other extension from EDB stack is difficult,
>> > unclean, and nothing what I would to use as new base.
>>
>> The five or six mouse clicks required to install something like Slony
>> or PostGIS (or both at once) is difficult and unclean?
>

> I had a problem with downloading isolated packages with stackbuilder - but
> it was specific, because comp where some packages was installed was not
> access to internet.

Run SB on a machine that is connected and:

- Select "remote server" on the first step. This will disable any
filtering based on database server version, which is normally applied
if you're installing to the local machine (it will only offer packages
compatible with the database servers you have installed). This is not
required if you have the appropriate DB server installed on the
internet connected machine as well.

- Make a note of the Download Directory on step 3

- Check "Skip installation" on step 4.

Copy the downloaded installed from the Download Directory to your
server machine, and run them.

Dave, I didn't say so it is difficult task - I solved it relatively simply - but my customer - long year Oracle DBA, Postgres beginner was messy and needed help and access to EDB support. He expected and searched a web page with download, what is much more usual.

Regards

Pavel

--
Dave Page