Re: csv format for psql

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: csv format for psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

I.e. really generate some csv from the data in just one option, not many.

But this is obviously debatable.

I suspect we'll get requests for an all-JSON option, HTML tables,
etc., assuming we don't have them already.

I would definitely be fine with --html (which indeed already exists) & --json (which does not, but could some day) as long options.

I'm hoping we can have that all in one framework.

ISTM that it is more or less the case if an option simply presets a bunch of existing table output options which is an existing framework.

I get that setting each of tuples_only, fieldsep, recordsep, etc. might be a bit of a lift for some users, but it's not clear how we'd make a sane default that made choices among those correct for enough users. For example, do we know that we want tuples_only behavior by default? A lot of people's CSV tools assume a header row.

If there is a possible disagreement on one option, then let it out and use the corresponding short option if needed?

Tuple only:

  psql --csv -t -c 'TABLE foo' -o foo.csv

With title headers:

  psql --csv    -c 'TABLE foo' -o foo.csv