Re: [HACKERS] possible encoding issues with libxml2 functions

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] possible encoding issues with libxml2 functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:43:19PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> yes, probably libXML2 try to do check from utf8 encoding to header
> specified encoding.

Yes.  That has been the topic of this thread.

> a) all values created by  xml_in iterface are in database encoding - input
> string is stored without any change. xml_parse is called only due
> validation.
>
> b) inside xml_parse, the input is converted to UTF8, and document is read
> by xmlCtxtReadDoc with explicitly specified "UTF-8" encoding or
> by xmlParseBalancedChunkMemory with explicitly specified encoding "UTF8"
> and removed decl section.
>
> So for "xml_parse" based functions (xml_in, texttoxml, xml_is_document,
> wellformated_xml) the database encoding is not important
>
> c) xml_recv function does validation by xml_parse and translation to
> database encoding.
>
> Now I don't see a difference between @b and @c - so my hypotheses about
> necessity to use recv interface was wrong.

Yes.  You posted, on 2017-04-05, a test case not requiring the recv interface.

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 09:13:50AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I didn't find any info how to enable libXML2 XPath functions for other
> encoding than UTF8 :( ??

http://xmlsoft.org/encoding.html is the relevant authority.  To summarize, we
should send only UTF8 to libxml2.

libxml2 encodes XML to UTF8 by self. All others should be in UTF8. I found some references to xmlSwitchEncoding function - but I didn't find any examples of usage - probably nobody use it. Result is in UTF8 always.

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 10:53:19PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I am sending some POC  - it does support XPATH and XMLTABLE for not UTF8
> server encoding.
>
> In this case, all strings should be converted to UTF8 before call libXML2
> functions, and result should be converted back from UTF8.

Adding support for xpath in non-UTF8 databases is a v11 feature proposal.
Please start a new thread for this, and add it to the open CommitFest.

In this thread, would you provide the version of your patch that I described
in my 2017-08-08 post to this thread?  That's a back-patchable bug fix.

There are three issues:

1. processing 1byte encoding XMLs documents with encoding declaration - should be fixed by ecoding_for_xmlCtxtReadMemory.patch. This patch is very short and safe - can be apply immediately (there is regress tests)

2 encoding issues in XPath specification (and  namespaces) - because multibytes chars are not usually used in tag names, this issue hit minimum users.

3. encoding issues in XPath and XMLTABLE results - this is bad issue - the function XMLTABLE will not be functional on non UTF8 databases. Fortunately - there are less users with this encoding, but probably should be apply as fix in 10/11 Postgres.

> I found some previous experiments https://marc.info/?l=pgsql-bugs&m=123407176408688

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#XML links to other background on this
feature proposal.  See Tom Lane's review of a previous patch.  Ensure your
patch does not have the problems he found during that review.  Do that before
starting a thread for this feature.

good information - thank you. I'll start new thread for @2 and @3 issues - not sure if I prepare good enough patch for next commit fest - and later commiter can decide if will do backpatching.

Regards

Pavel

Thanks,
nm

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] possible encoding issues with libxml2 functions
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] possible encoding issues with libxml2 functions