Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

A main concern among most (all?) participants of the thread, regardless of
format supported, is that quoting is hard and must be done right for all object
names postgres support (including any not currently in scope by this patch).

Just a small note - when quoting is calculated to design, then the implementation is easy. I am sure, so my last code covers all possibilities, and it is about 100 lines of code.

Below is an attempt at summarizing and grouping the proposals so far into the
set of ideas presented:

    A) A keyword+object based format to invoke with a switch to essentially
    allow for more filters than the commandline can handle and nothing more.
    After a set of revisions, the current proposal is:
        [include|exclude] [<objtype>] [<objident>]

    B) A format similar to (A) which can also be used for pg_dump configuration

    C) The format in (A), or a close variant thereof, with the intention of it
    being included in/referred to from a future configuration file of currently
    unknown format.  One reference being a .gitignore type file.

    D) An existing format (JSON and TOML have been suggested, with JSON
    being dismissed due to lack of comment support) which has quoting
    conventions that supports postgres' object names and which can be used to
    define a full pg_dump configuration file syntax.

For B), C) and D) there is implicit consensus in the thread that we don't need
to implement the full configuration file as of this patch, merely that it
*must* be possible to do so without having to paint ourselves out of a corner.

At this point it seems to me that B) and C) has the broadest support.  Can the
C) option may represent the compromise between "simple" format for object
filtering and a more structured format for configuration?  Are there other
options?

What should be a benefit of this variant?

Regards

Pavel

Сообщение: Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file
Сообщение: Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file