Re: How to quote the COALESCE function?

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: How to quote the COALESCE function?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi

Tom, Jerry, I'm going to do the same as the `quote_identifier`
function of Postgres does, only quote if necessary.

Thanks for your explanation, Roman.

The coalesce is one few functions implemented by special rule in PostgreSQL parser. Some functions with special behave, special syntax are implemented differently than other functions:coalesce, xmlelement, least, greatest, current_timestamp, session_user. When you use "coalesce", then PostgreSQL try to search custom function named coalesce. These functions are not usually in pg_proc catalogue.

Regards

Pavel

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 1:31 AM, Jerry Sievers <gsievers19@comcast.net> wrote:
Roman Scherer <roman@burningswell.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm building a DSL in Clojure for SQL and specifically PostgreSQL
> [1]. When building a SQL statement that contains a function call
> I always quote the function name with \" in case the function
> name contains any special characters. Here's an example:
>
>   (select db ['(upper "x")])
>   ;=> ["SELECT \"upper\"(?)" "x"]
>
> This worked fine so far, but today I found a case that doesn't
> work as expected, the COALESCE function.
>
>   (select db ['(coalesce nil 0)])
>   ;=> ["SELECT \"coalesce\"(NULL, 0)"]
>
> Can someone explain to me what's the difference between quoting
> the `upper` and the `coalesce` function? I can execute the
> following statements via psql, and it works as expected:
>
>   SELECT upper ('x');
>   SELECT "upper"('x');
>   SELECT coalesce(NULL, 1);
>
> But as soon as I try this with `coalesce` I get an error:
>
>   SELECT "coalesce"(NULL, 1);

While not a precise answer to your question, it may be of interest to
note that coalesce is *not* a function.

It is a language construct with a function-like syntax.

select distinct proname from pg_proc where proname in ('coalesce', 'lower');
 proname
---------
 lower
(1 row)