Re: schema or database

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: schema or database
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Michael Cheung wrote:
> I have many similar database to store data for every customer.
> Structure of database is almost the same.
> As I use same application to control all these data, so I can only use
> one database user to connect to these database.
> And I have no needs to query table for different customer together.
>
> I wonder which I should use, different shema or different database to store data?
>
> I 'd like to know the advantage and disadvantage for using schema or database.

In addition to what others have said:

If you use multiple schemas within one database, the danger is greater that
data are written to or read from the wrong schema if your application has a bug
ans does not make sure to always set search_path or qualify every access with a
schema name.

With multiple databases you are guaranteed not to access data from a different
database.

The main downside that I see to multiple databases is the overhead: each of
the databases will have its own pg_catalog tables.

It can be advantage - if your schema is pretty complex - thousands procedures, tables, then separate pg_catalog can be better - there are issues with pg_dump, pg_restore.

So it depends on catalog size and complexity.

Regards

Pavel

Yours,
Laurenz Albe