Re: Reduce timing overhead of EXPLAIN ANALYZE using rdtsc?

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Reduce timing overhead of EXPLAIN ANALYZE using rdtsc?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

po 16. 1. 2023 v 21:34 odesílatel Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> napsal:
Hi,

there's minor bitrot in the Mkvcbuild.pm change, making cfbot unhappy.

As for the patch, I don't have much comments. I'm wondering if it'd be
useful to indicate which timing source was actually used for EXPLAIN
ANALYZE, say something like:

 Planning time: 0.197 ms
 Execution time: 0.225 ms
 Timing source: clock_gettime (or tsc)

There has been a proposal to expose this as a GUC (or perhaps as explain
option), to allow users to pick what timing source to use. I wouldn't go
that far - AFAICS is this is meant to be universally better when
available. But knowing which source was used seems useful.

+1

Pavel

regards

--