Re: pl/pgsql feature request: shorthand for argument and local variable references

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: pl/pgsql feature request: shorthand for argument and local variable references
Дата
Re: pl/pgsql feature request: shorthand for argument and local variable references  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers

čt 6. 1. 2022 v 16:59 odesílatel Joel Jacobson <joel@compiler.org> napsal:
On Thu, Jan 6, 2022, at 15:05, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>čt 6. 1. 2022 v 14:28 odesílatel Joel Jacobson <joel@compiler.org> napsal:
>>How about using the existing reserved keyword "in" followed by "." (dot) and then the function parameter name?
>>
>>This idea is based on the assumption "in." would always be a syntax error everywhere in both SQL and PL/pgSQL,
>>so if we would introduce such a syntax, no existing code could be affected, except currently invalid code.
>>
>>I wouldn't mind using "in." to refer to IN/OUT/INOUT parameters and not only IN ones, it's a minor confusion that could be >>explained in the docs.
>
>You are right, in.outvar looks messy.

I think you misunderstood what I meant, I suggested "in.outvar" would actually be OK.

I understand well, and I don't think it's nice.

Are there some similar features in other programming languages?

> Moreover, maybe the SQL parser can have a problem with it.

How could the SQL parser have a problem with it, if "in" is currently never followed by "." (dot)?
Not an expert in the SQL parser, trying to understand why it would be a problem.

you can check it. It is true, so IN is usually followed by "(", but until check I am not able to say if there will be an unwanted shift or collision or not.

Regards

Pavel

/Joel