Re: [GENERAL] Error that shouldn't happen?

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Error that shouldn't happen?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Thanks.

I can code an exception block to handle the table problem, and probably one for the index collision too.

Creating partitions dynamically is pretty bad idea. You have to handle a exceptions - it enforces implicit subtransaction (some slowdown) or you have to use a explicit locks - or some mix of all.

Writing this code without race condition is not too easy.

My point is how did two concurrent threads successfully create the same table?  That had to have happened if one of the threads hit a duplicate index error.

PostgreSQL is based on processes. The reason was described by David well.

It almost seems like Postgres skipped checking for duplicate tables due to some timing issue.  I don't want my DB to ending up hosed by something like that.

Thanks,

Rob