Re: proposal: contrib module - generic command scheduler

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal: contrib module - generic command scheduler
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 09:25:50AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> create type scheduled_time as (second int[], minute int[], hour int[], dow
> int[], month int[]);
>  (,"{1,10,20,30,40,50}",,,) .. run every 10 minutes.
>  (,"{5}",,,) .. run once per hour
> Comments, notices?

First, please note that I'm definitely not a hacker, just a user.

One comment that I'd like to make, is that since we're at planning
phase, I think it would be great to add capability to limit number of
executions of given command.
This would allow running things like "at" in unix - run once, at given
time, and that's it.

I would not to store state on this level - so "at" should be implemented on higher level. There is very high number of possible strategies, what can be done with failed tasks - and I would not to open this topic. I believe with proposed scheduler, anybody can simply implement what need in PLpgSQL with dynamic SQL. But on second hand "run once" can be implemented with proposed API too.

pg_create_scheduled_command('delete obsolete data', '(,,"{1}","{1}",)',
$$DO $_$
  BEGIN
    DELETE FROM data WHERE inserted < current_timestamp - interval '1month';
    PERFORM pg_update_scheduled_command(scheduled_command_oid(), max_workers => 0);
  END $_$
$$);

Regards

Pavel

Best regards,

depesz

--
The best thing about modern society is how easy it is to avoid contact with it.
                                                             http://depesz.com/