Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed
Дата
Ответ на Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 9/21/17 13:54, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>     I see where you are coming from, but there is no association in the
>     existing UI that equates "+" to the word "verbose".  I think just
>     removing the verbose prefix and applying the sorting behavior in all
>     cases should be easier to explain and implement.
>
> I though about it - but I am not sure if one kind of these variables is
> practical.
>
> if I don't need a size, then sort by schema, name is ok (I didn't need
> any else ever). With only one kind of these variables, this setting is
> common - what is not practical.

But you are proposing also to add a variable configuring the sort
direction.  It would be weird that \dX+ observed the sort direction but
\dX did not.

yes and no.

schema_name, name_schema or SORT_DIRECTION has sense for both type of commands.

size sort has sense only for \dX+ command.

I am thinking about solution and the most clean I see two distinct variables:

SORT_COLUMNS and VERBOSE_SORT_COLUMNS

when VERBOSE_SORT_COLUMNS will be undefined, then SORT_COLUMNS is used for \dX+ command too.

Is it acceptable?

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/