Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 09/05/2014 05:21 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> *shrug*  Doing it in SQL would probably break more stuff.  I'm trying to
> contain the damage.  And arguably, this is mostly only useful in PL/PgSQL.

I've wanted assertions in SQL enough that I often write trivial wrappers
around `raise` in PL/PgSQL for use in `CASE` statements etc.

In this moment we have no agreement on syntax, but there was not defined a requirements for aggregations. I looked on assertions in some languages and implementation and design of assertions is really varied.

I though about it, and "Assertions" is not plpgsql only issue. It must be supported by core, and by other PL.

There are two usual requests for Assertions:

a) Isn't possible handle a assertion exception anywhere .. it enforce ROLLBACK in 100%

b) Assertions should be disabled globally .. I am not sure, it it is a good idea, but I can understand so some tests based on queries to data can be performance issue.

Important question is a relation assertations and exceptions. Is it only shortcut for exception or some different?

Comments?

Regards

Pavel

--