Re: UNDO and in-place update

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: UNDO and in-place update
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

I think that the whole emphasis on whether and to what degree this is
like Oracle is somewhat misplaced.  I would look at it a different
way.  We've talked many times over the years about how PostgreSQL is
optimized for aborts.  Everybody that I've heard comment on that issue
thinks that is a bad thing.

again this depends on usage - when you have a possibility to run VACUUM, then this strategy is better.

The fast aborts is one pretty good feature for stable usage.

Isn't possible to use UNDO log (or something similar) for VACUUM? ROLLBACK should be fast, but
VACUUM can do more work?

I am proposing a design that is optimized
for commits; that is, if the transaction commits, none of the pages it
modified need to be dirtied again afterwards at any point.  I think
that's an extremely important property and it's one that we are very
far from having today.  It necessarily implies that you cannot store
the old row versions in the heap, because if you do, then you are
going to have to dirty the pages again to get rid of them (unless you
prefer to just leak the space forever).  Now there is plenty of room
for argument about whether the specific design I proposed is going to
be any good, and I think that would be quite an interesting discussion
to have.  But I think if you say, well, you know, the fact that we may
rewrite the same page 5 or 6 times after a modification to set hint
bits (a few at a time) and HOT prune and set all-visible and freeze
isn't really any big deal, you must live in a world where the write
bandwidth of the I/O channel is a lot less of a problem than it is in
mine.  And we've been around and around on all of that stuff and
people have come up with various ideas to improve the situation - some
of which have been implemented - but many of those ideas involve
unpleasant trade-offs and so the core problems remain.  If we don't do
something more fundamental, we're still going to be up against the
same basic issues ten years from now.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company