Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 3 February 2017 at 14:27, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> This is the webinar that started this whole thread (well the original
>> thread, not this weird MERGE/UPSERT stuff):
>>
>> https://www.commandprompt.com/blog/postgresql_for_oracle_people/
>>
>> Thank you to everyone that responded. You will see in this Webinar that at
>> least from the Oracle people perspective, PostgreSQL is not an option unless
>> it has packages.
>>
>> The other item that people bring up a few times is Oracle Forms but as
>> that is actually external (although dependent) on Oracle, I don't see that
>> as our responsibility.
>

> DB2 propose using schemas instead packages
>
> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/dm-0711zubiri/
>
> Now I am working with Oracle application - and I try to understand to Oracle
> developers - often pattern is using "Oracle schema" as database - and then
> the packages has sense. But there is not a mapping "Oracle schema" =
> "PostgreSQL schema" - and packages is a redundant concept in Postgres (and
> in all db, where the schema are like namaspace - MSSQL, DB2, MySQL).

It sounds like we could benefit from a documentation section
"packages" that describes how to get package-like behaviour (minus the
pre-compiled updates) from Pg using schemas and, once added, secure
variables.

It should be documented and presented (who is read a documentation? :-))

It is not only PostgreSQL issue, same issue has to have any other databases. The Oracle architecture is very specific and often question is, how to map Oracle database to PostgreSQL. A common questions - how schema should be used, where schema should be used, where database should be used. What is practical limit of size of PostgreSQL catalogue.

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/