Re: VIP: new format for psql - shell - simple using psql in shell

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: VIP: new format for psql - shell - simple using psql in shell
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello

2012/5/27 hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com>:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 05:39:23PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> I proposed new psql's format "shell". This format is optimized for
>> processing returned result in shell:
>
> While I generally like the idea, please note that safe reading output
> from queries is possible, with COPY, and proper IFS, like:

I newer say so it is impossible

> =$ psql -c "select * from t"
>  a  |  b  |     c
> ----+-----+-----------
>  a1 | b 2 | c|3
>  a +| b  +| c:|     6
>  4  | 5  +|
>    |     |
> (2 rows)
>

> =$ psql -qAtX -c "copy (select * from t) to stdout" | while IFS=$'\t' read -r a b c; do echo -e "a=[$a] b=[$b]
c=[$c]";done
> a=[a1] b=[b 2] c=[c|3]
> a=[a
> 4] b=[b
> 5
> ] c=[c:|        6]

I know about this feature

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-05/msg01169.php

but may "shell format" patch is very simple and can really simplify
usage in shell.

> that being said - I would love to get more functional psql.

This patch doesn't break anything - and it is only 30 lines of non
invasive simple code.

Implementation of statements to psql is probably long task - I wrote
prototype - but I have not time finish it and push to core.

Regards

Pavel