Review: tests for client programs

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Review: tests for client programs
Дата
Re: Review: tests for client programs  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello

This patch creates a infrastructure for client side testing environment

1. Surely we want this patch, this infrastructure - lot of important functionality is not covered by tests - pg_dump, pg_basebackup, ... Without infrastructure is terrible work to create some tests.

2. This patch does exactly what was proposed

3. New functionality has zero impact on our server side or client side software (performance, quality, readability, ..)

4. I was able to use this patch cleanly and it works

5. I didn't test it on windows

6. I found only few issues:

a) Configure doesn't check a required IRC::Run module

b) Prepared tests fails when PostgreSQL server was up - should be checked and should to raise a valuable error message

c) I am not sure if infrastructure is enough - for test pg_dump I miss a comparation of produced file with some other expected file. This objection is not blocker - someone can enhance it (when will write tests of pg_dump for example).

Regards

Pavel Stehule