Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 12.03.2018 09:54, Pavel Stehule wrote:

Is there any chances that it will work on replicas?

sure, it should to work. Now, I am try to solve a issues on concept level - the LET code is based on DML code base, so probably there is check for rw transactions. But it is useless for LET command.

Very, very good!

As I understand, the work on this patch now in progress and it not in commitfest.
Please explain what features of schema variables I can review now.

From first post of this thread the syntax of the CREATE VARIABLE command:

CREATE [TEMP] VARIABLE [IF NOT EXISTS] name AS type
  [ DEFAULT expression ] [[NOT] NULL]
  [ ON TRANSACTION END { RESET | DROP } ]
  [ { VOLATILE | STABLE } ];

Now, it is too early for review - it is in development. Some features are not implemented yet - DEFAULTs, ON TRANSACTION END .., others has not sense (what I know now VOLATILE, STABLE). Schema variables are passed as parameters to query, so the behave is like any other params - it is STABLE only.

But in psql I see only:
\h create variable
Command:     CREATE VARIABLE
Syntax:
CREATE VARIABLE [ IF NOT EXISTS ] name [ AS ] data_type ]

I can include DEFAULT clause in CREATE VARIABLE command, but the value not used:
postgres=# create variable i int default 0;
CREATE VARIABLE
postgres=# select i;
---

(1 row)

postgres=# \d+ i
 schema variable "public.i"
 Column |  Type   | Storage
--------+---------+---------
 i      | integer | plain

defaults are not implemented yet

BTW, I found an error in handling of table aliases:

postgres=# create variable x text;
CREATE VARIABLE
postgres=# select * from pg_class AS x where x.relname = 'x';
ERROR:  type text is not composite

It thinks that x.relname is an attribute of x variable instead of an alias for pg_class table.

It is not well handled collision. This should be detected and prohibited. In this case, because x is scalar, then x.xx has not sense, and then it should not be handled like variable. So the current design is not too practical - it generates more collisions than it is necessary and still, there are some errors.

Now, there is one important question - storage - Postgres stores all objects to files - only memory storage is not designed yet. This is part, where I need a help.

Regards

Pavel

-----
Pavel Luzanov