Re: Extract numeric filed in JSONB more effectively

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Extract numeric filed in JSONB more effectively
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

út 15. 8. 2023 v 9:05 odesílatel Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> napsal:

a) effectiveness. The ending performance should be similar like your current patch, but without necessity to use planner support API.

So the cost is we need to create a new & different framework.

yes, it can be less work, code than for example introduction of "anycompatible".

b) because you can write only var := j->'f', and plpgsql forces cast function execution, but not via planner.

var a := 1 needs going with planner,  IIUC,  same with j->'f'.

i was wrong, the planner is full, but the executor is reduced.

c) nothing else. It should not to require to modify cast function definitions

If you look at how the planner support function works,  that is
pretty simple,  just modify the prosupport attribute. I'm not sure
this should be called an issue or avoiding it can be described
as a benefit.

I don't think the current case is as bad as the other ones like
users needing to modify their queries or type-safety system
being broken. So personally I'm not willing to creating some
thing new & heavy. However I'm open to see what others say.

ok

regards

Pavel

--