Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

út 19. 5. 2020 v 14:27 odesílatel Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> napsal:
On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 10:42 AM Peter Eisentraut
> What are the thoughts about then marking the postfix operator deprecated
> and eventually removing it?

I wrote a little bit about this last year:

http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoarLfSQcLCh7jx0737SZ28qwbuy+rUWT6rSHAO=B-6xdw@mail.gmail.com

I think it's generally a good idea, though perhaps we should consider
continuing to allow '!' as a postfix operator and just removing
support for any other. That would probably allow us to have a very
short deprecation period, since real-world use of user-defined postfix
operators seems to be nil -- and it would also make this into a change
that only affects the lexer and parser, which might make it simpler.

I won't lose a lot of sleep if we decide to rip out '!' as well, but I
don't think that continuing to support it would cost us much.

This is little bit obscure feature. It can be removed and relative quickly. Maybe some warning if somebody use it can be good (for Postgres 13)

Pavel

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company