Re: possible memory leak in VACUUM ANALYZE

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: possible memory leak in VACUUM ANALYZE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

so 11. 2. 2023 v 7:53 odesílatel Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> napsal:
On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 07:06:45AM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> pá 10. 2. 2023 v 23:01 odesílatel Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> napsal:

> > > can be
> >
> > Well, how big was shared_buffers on that instance ?
>
> 20GB RAM
> 20GB swap
> 2GB shared buffers

Thanks; so that can't explain using more than 2GB + a bit of overhead.

Can you reproduce the problem and figure out which relation was being
processed, or if the memory use is growing across relations?
pg_stat_progress_analyze/vacuum would be one thing to check.
Does VACUUM alone trigger the issue ?  What about ANALYZE ?

I executed VACUUM and ANALYZE separately, and memory grew up in both cases with similar speed.

almost all tables has less than 120 pages, and less than thousand tuples

and almost all tables has twenty fields + one geometry field + gist index

the size of pg_attribute has 6GB and pg_class has about 2GB

Unfortunately, that is customer's production server, and I have not full access there so I cannot to do deeper investigation

Was parallel vacuum happening (are there more than one index per table) ?

probably not - almost all tables are small

Do you have any extended stats objects or non-default stats targets ?
What server version is it?  What OS?  Extensions?  Non-btree indexes?

PostgreSQL 14 on linux with installed PostGIS

BTW I'm interested about this because I have an VM instance running v15
which has been killed more than a couple times in the last 6 months, and
I haven't been able to diagnose why.  But autovacuum/analyze could
explain it.  On this one particular instance, we don't have many
relations, though...

--
Justin