Re: [HACKERS] psql: new help related to variables are not too readable

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql: new help related to variables are not too readable
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
>> I'll assign this patch to next commitfest

> Probably it needs some rebase after Tom committed result status variables.

> As it is a style thing, ISTM that the patch is ready if most people agree
> that it is better this way and there is no strong veto against.

FWIW, I think it's a bad idea.  We already nearly-doubled the vertical
space required for this variable list.  That was a heavy cost --- and we
already got at least one complaint about it --- but it seemed warranted
to avoid having to deal with very constrained variable descriptions.
This proposes to make the vertical space nearly triple what it was in v10.
In a typical-size window that's going to have a pretty severe impact on
how much of the list you can see at once.  And the readability gain is
(at least to my eyes) very marginal.

unfortunately - readability is subjective. Now it is really hard to read to me. I understand so text is long enough already, and with lot of empty lines, it will be longer.

because we cannot to use colors or some effects (bold, ..)  I am not feeling to well when I read it.

I proposed it because readability of current design is not too good - but it is not major topic for me - so should not to push this topic too much. Somebody can read it better, some not - it is subjective.

Regards

Pavel