Re: Review: query result history in psql

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Review: query result history in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2013/7/1 Maciej Gajewski <maciej.gajewski0@gmail.com>:
> I'm not really bought into some of the ideas.
>

>>> but maybe some interactive mode should be usefull - so after
>>> execution, and showing result, will be prompt if result should be
>>> saved or not.
>>
>> I like the idea, in addition to the ordinary mode. Personally, I would use
>> the ordinary mode, but I can see how 'interactive' would be useful.
>>

> This would require a complex change to the client code. And the result would
> eventually become annoying: an interactive question after each and every
> query. Currently, when turned on, every result is stored and simple
> notification is printed.

.
When I tested this feature, I had 30 caches per 5 minutes, and only a
few from these queries had a sense. Switch between off and on is not
user friendly. I believe so there can be other solution than mine, but
a possibility to friendly clean unwanted caches is necessary.

>>>  yes, the names :ans01, :ans02, ... miss semantics - How I can join
>>>
>>> this name (and content) with some SQL query?
>>
>> That makes sense. I think having part of / the whole query string would be
>> very helpful. Great suggestion!
>>

> The naming is obscure and non-informative, I agree. If you have a nice idea
> how to make it better, I'd love to discuss it. But please remember that it
> has one huge advantage: simplicity. The client is a classical command-line
> tool, and as such it delegates some of the functionality to external
> programs, like pager or terminal.

Personally, I don't see a strong price for all users without friendly
interface.

Regards

Pavel