Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 29 January 2018 at 16:23, Chapman Flack <chap@anastigmatix.net> wrote:
> On 01/29/2018 11:13 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> On 29 January 2018 at 15:44, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>> Uh, if we know we are going to get question on this, the patch had
>>> better have an explanation of when to use it.  Pushing the problem to
>>> later doesn't seem helpful.
>>
>> What problem are you referring to?
>>
>> INSERT ON CONFLICT UPDATE does ...
>>
>> MERGE allows you to ...
> In my reading of Pavel and Bruce, the only 'problem' being suggested
> is that the patch hasn't added a bit of documentation somewhere that
> lays out the relationship between these two things, more or less as
> you just did.

I am happy to write docs as requested.

There are currently no docs saying when INSERT ON CONFLICT UPDATE
should be used other than the ref page for that command. There is no
mention of it in the "Data Manipulation" section of the docs.

I've included docs for MERGE so it is mentioned in concurrency and
reference sections, so it follows the same model.

Where would people like me to put these docs?

Depends on size - small note can be placed in MERGE docs and link from INSERT ON CONFLICT DO.

Regards

Pavel

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11