Re: [GENERAL] Feature request - psql --quote-variable

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Feature request - psql --quote-variable
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Thank you. Apparently I never saw this response, for some reason...

So reading that leaves me confused on one point, which is the right way to do it if you're inserting an  integer? would this be right? is there a difference between the single and double quotes here?

postgres=# create table foo(a int);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 276,386 ms
postgres=# insert into foo values('1');
INSERT 0 1
Time: 72,357 ms

(presume id is a bigint)
`insert into foo ( id ) values ( :'var' )`

double quotes are used for identifiers. 'xxxx' is string literal, "xxxx" is sql identifier like table name or column name.

maybe the docs should mention sql injection? (if for nothing more than google indexing and ctrl+f page searching)

This is psql client side feature - where SQL injection is possible, but the risk is usually low - more significant are errors coming from missing or wrong value escapeing.

Currently in patch pool is a patch, that enable possibility to use parametrized queries from psql - it can be another way, how to execute query safely.

Any documentation enhancing is good. If you have a idea, please, send a text.

Regards

Pavel